This practice operates a zero tolerance policy towards harassment and abuse of staff, patients or other visitors which includes (but is not limited to) homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, racism, sexism, ageism or harassment or abuse on basis of disability, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Violent and Unacceptable Behaviour Policy – Zero Tolerance
As an employer, the practice has a duty to care for the health and safety of its staff. The practice also has a legal responsibility to provide a safe and secure working environment for staff, visitors, and patients. All patients are expected to behave in an acceptable manner and violent or abusive behaviour towards staff or patients may result in removal from our Practice or even criminal proceedings. The practice follows the NHS guidance concerning zero tolerance.
The practice has a policy of zero tolerance of verbal and physical violence towards GP’s, staff, patients or other visitors.
The practice will request the removal of any patient from the practice list who is aggressive or abusive towards a doctor, member of staff, patient or other visitor or who damages property.
All instances of actual physical abuse on any doctor or member of staff by a patient or their relatives will be reported to the police as an assault.
We expect all patients to be responsible and avoid attending the surgery under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs. Any alteration of prescriptions is illegal and will not be tolerated.
If you are not satisfied with the quality of service we provide you have the right to register with another practice without notifying us. Similarly, on the very rare occasion when a patient repeatedly ignores their responsibilities to the practice, we have the right to remove the patient from our practice list.
Examples of Unacceptable Standards of Behaviour
- Any physical violence towards any member of the staff, other patients or other visitors such as pushing, shoving
- Threatening or abusive language involving swearing or offensive remarks
- Racial abuse and sexual harassment
- Homophobic, biphobic and transphobic discrimination, harassment and abuse will not be tolerated within this practice
- Derogatory remarks or gestures which have a sexual, racist or religious connotation
- Malicious allegations relating to members of staff, other patients or visitors
- Offensive sexual gestures or behaviour
- Abusing alcohol or drugs on practice premises
- Wilful damage to practice or other patients’ property
- Threats or threatening behaviour
- Obtaining drugs and / or medical services fraudulently
Our staff, patients and other visitors have the right to be treated with dignity and respect at all times.
They should be able to do their jobs without being physically or verbally abused.
Most people respect this.
Anyone found abusing staff, patients or other visitors in person or on the telephone will be asked to leave the practice.
This behaviour will not be tolerated.